Getting started

Don't expect words of wisdom or earth shattering revelations, just my thoughts and observations about living in Ottawa, being a public servant and trying to live life every day to its fullest

Sunday, November 21, 2010

AGE - I was at a concert last night watching the lovely Hannah Georges and Royal Wood. Royal Wood is an interesting character and liked to talk to the audience. At one point he decided to talk about how being over 30 is fantastic and he feels like he has come into his own. The first thing I thought was "dude; know your audience!" There were a significant group in the room who were obviously way past 30 and the remarks did come across condescending, I was slightly indignant for their sake. But I got to thinking about the deeper message and how being over 30 is fantastic.

I have to say that 30 was my best year yet! I had a blast. 31 has just not lived up to the expectations brought on by the party last year. Not that 31 has been all that bad and I would rather be here than anywhere in my 20's. I had no problems turning 30 and look forward to turning 32. Full disclosure; the fact that my YOUNGER sister is turning 30 this year freaks me out.  My sister is fighting the "big-30". She wants to stay 29 forever and apart from that fact that staying 29 is so 1980's and overdone, I am not sure why people think the 20's is where it was at. If she wants to hang out at any age, I have suggested 33, although I have yet to try that vintage.

Royal Wood proclaimed (yes, it was a proclamation) that a lot of the insecurities that come along with your 20's seem to be left behind when you hit your 30's, and looking at the last 20+ months, I can agree. While it is not an overnight revelation, I do believe that I have settled more into who I am and what I want. I am willing and able to just go out and get it, set my own path, regardless of what people think.

I went to TimeKode (an monthly Ottawa dance party held in an Ethiopian restaurant) for the first time on Friday and I danced like I was back in University except without the need to get drunk. 2.5 hours just rocking it to the loud music and jostling with people for space to do my own thing. Part of the appeal is that TimeKode is just about the dancing, unlike clubs where it really is a meat market, but I think for the first time in my life, I just let it be and danced. At points I lost my friends in the crowd, and that didn't matter. It was 100% about dancing and just letting go and having fun. I know I would never have been able to do that in my 20's. If a 20 year old is dancing in a club without any of their friends to see them, are they still cool?

Now I am me. I am in my 30's and (at least sometimes seem) to have my life together. Sure, there are things I want to do and places I want to be, but I will make it happen, me. At 30 I am more aware of who I am, what I want and am willing to take responsibility. My learning from last night; delivery can kill an important message and that it really does get better with age.

No comments:

Post a Comment