Getting started

Don't expect words of wisdom or earth shattering revelations, just my thoughts and observations about living in Ottawa, being a public servant and trying to live life every day to its fullest

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Scuba obsession: In just over 48 hours I will be diving, under water with the fish, coral and an uncountable number of other wild and wonderful organisms. Floating, drifting, observing, being. Not needing to be part of the scene that will play out on the reef or around a wreck around me.

I have been scuba diving over half my life and since I found stable employment it has become the focus of many of my adventures. Malta for ten days, Honduras for seven, Jordan and the Red Sea (tag on to a Petra trip), a week in a hut of a beach in Malaysia - and now Bermuda. For the 50 to 90 minutes I am under water, the world stops mattering and I exist. That is all, I exist. Listening to my breathing and taking pleasure in how my body moves under water.

Diving has always been in my blood, since I was old enough to hold my head up I have been in the water, my parents met scuba diving before computers were invited and when people were still using "reserves" (I actually know how to tell someone I am on my reserve - old school!) My sister and I have an understanding underwater and click as the perfect dive buddies, we have whole conversations underwater about how we would cook the fish, or how it would be nice to see a lobster, and then eat it (it is our Asian up-bringing). We know each others pace and how to laugh underwater at people rushing around trying to see everything.

Often I wonder what it would be like to take diving to the next level, to pursue more certification, become an under-water photographer, or teach. But I realise that, for me, that would take the joy out of. I can be an honest tourist under water. I am responsible for my safety and that of my buddy, and the buck ends there. I can be in the moment and not try and capture that really neat fish in a photo. If I taught, I would have to dive in Canada and that would really crush me (cold and brown with currents around ships that require ropes).

Instead I will just love the moment and be happy worrying about no body or anything. 30-60ft under, looking up and watching the sun play off the water surface, blowing bubbles and just being. For the minutes I am under water, I will be my most at peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment