Getting started

Don't expect words of wisdom or earth shattering revelations, just my thoughts and observations about living in Ottawa, being a public servant and trying to live life every day to its fullest

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Curmudgeonly Bachelorette - As much as we like to deny it, everyone thinks in stereotypes. These help us gather information about people quickly and paint a picture which we can expand over time as we get to know the "real" person. An important part of the stereotype is how we choose to portray ourselves. We accentuate certain traits to either conform to, or challenge, people's assumptions about who we are versus who we appear to be. Even if we think we are completely original, we use stereotype to help define us and we let them ... we embrace it.

In my "youth" my stereotype was the fun-loving, easy-going, serial monogamist who was always in a relationship. I did lots of fun things without my insignificant other, but when push came to shove, I always had a boy friend ... and now without this crutch, I have had to find a new stereotype. Something that helps people understand who I am. I live alone with a cat, love working, am out all hours of the day doing interesting things or sipping cocktails, and like my space and alone time.

I am settled in my ways as the Curmudgeonly Bachelorette. And now that I know my stereotype, I feel like I have a bit of a reputation to live up to!

Or do I?

I am finding that my stereotype is starting to define me. I try not to let it - but when push comes to shove, I am happy to just head home with a good book and some Ben and Jerry's ice-cream. I am slowly learning that I am not as much as a people person as I used to be and that, in reality, not only do a lot of people actually piss me off, I am willing to tell them! 

When you start to live the stereotype, it can be hard to see beyond the finale that Disney has already written for you. Try as I might, most of the stereotypes about women who live alone are not good ones; the crazy cat-lady, the bitter slighted woman, the bitchy executive who will trample everyone getting ahead. Perhaps I need to work on that stereotype.

No comments:

Post a Comment