Getting started

Don't expect words of wisdom or earth shattering revelations, just my thoughts and observations about living in Ottawa, being a public servant and trying to live life every day to its fullest

Sunday, March 13, 2011

International Woman's Day - Celebrating the accomplishments of women is easy in Ottawa; I am surrounded by some incredible, intelligent, passionate and compassionate women. This city is teaming in them - they are here to make a different and have the tools and tenacity to actually do it! Ottawa basking in an abundance of dynamic women who are ready to effect real change.

I also know some wonderful women in Canada and around the world - I will not list them all, or this will be a boring post and I don't want to accidentally leave one off. They are blazing trails and sticking to their guns - not just in careers that excite them, but following their hearts and never letting barriers stand in the way of pursuits that keep them balanced, be that travel, mountain biking, teaching, skiing, climbing or volunteering. Our jobs alone no longer define who we are or how we make an impact.   

Recently I have received e-mails from friends scattered around the world who muse giving up their jobs and having babies. Part of me is sad that they are leaving behind the potential to make a difference, but I suppose it also gives me hope ... if these fabulous women choose to raise children, then there is hope for future generations. I find that my baby-friends seem to be a lot more level-headed and pragmatic than others I have crossed in past adventures. Spending a lovely afternoon with such a couple and their very well behaved 13-month old really made this point.

To all my wonderful women friends - keep doing what you are doing. Make a difference in the way you need to and continue to inspire me. I learn from you all and I know the world is a better place because of you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment