Getting started

Don't expect words of wisdom or earth shattering revelations, just my thoughts and observations about living in Ottawa, being a public servant and trying to live life every day to its fullest

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Living the winter - at 5:50pm last night I was at the bar for my regular Friday after-work drinks and less that 90 minutes later I was on the ski hill! Winter, for me, is really about as much snow time as possible. It was a random last minute trip. At 5:30pm last night, when asked my plans for the evening, my response included a home cooked meal and catching up on reading. And while Friday night at Vorlage was not "epic" it was really the perfect way for me to finish a week. 

The first time I tried a carving board, I couldn't stand up on the thing, my shins were chewed up from the ski-boots I was using and I spent more time on my ass than on my feet, but I couldn't stop smiling. There was something about the grace and speed that just made me feel alive and I wanted more. Last year I bought boots, was using a very old and stiff board and borrowed bindings. And then my board "found me". I was not in the market - but I described my dream board to a few people. One day I was lent a board to demo which was the board, my board! I now believe in love-at-first-sight and sole-mates! I ride a Coiler, it is a hand-made Canadian carving board and is covered in flowers, big blue flowers. I am convinced that my board is the sexiest thing I own!

Last Saturday, friends texted me wishing me a great day rocking it up on my carving board - but I wasn't there (I avoid weekends because of the number of people, unless I can be there for first run). But they knew that was where I wanted to be, the know where my heart is this winter - starting a run on my beautiful Coiler and just listening to the wind run through my helmet. Even riding solo after work in the cold with terrible run and terrible run, there is no where I would rather be.

I know I might have a problem ... once the snow starts to fall and we sink into January, all I can think about is when I will be on the hill again, I lust over going fast, carving, feeling the board find the edge and curve around flexing under my boots.  I fall asleep wondering when I will on the hill again - and I am now doing something I have never done before - I just go out alone for a few hours of snowboarding after work! I have found a fire where for a long time none existed. Something I wake up for, something I crave, something that makes me happy, something that is mine - something I can do and it doesn't matter how good or bad I am, I just love every second out there pushing it hard.

Tuesday I went to Tremblant with my sister for a day, next week I am driving to Osler (about 6.5 hours away from Ottawa) for a day of carving with 60+ other carvers. I am hoping that I can take some more random mid-week days off to hit more hills, to just be. It is my moment, where I am just me ... nothing else and no one else exists (apart from that skier snow-ploughing slowly down the hill in front of me). I am.

I love my snowboard - I love carving. I love winter ... and no; I will not break anything this year - so you all owe me dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment